While I do engage in extensive pro bono and low fee work to help non-citizens, I cannot do it all. I am not currently doing pro bono direct representation, however, fortunately, there are wonderful nonprofit organizations responding to the new, increased threats faced by our communities. Please consider contacting these organizations if you need help in these areas:
How to Prepare in Case of Unexpected Arrest by ICE
Family preparedness plan: https://www.ilrc.org/family-preparedness-plan
What is going on with DACA?
Marijuana is Legal in California, so I’m safe to use it as a noncitizen, right? WRONG!
What are my rights as a Lawful Permanent Resident (greencard holder)?
ILRC Know-Your-Rights Cards for Your Wallet
Specific Challenges Faced by Our LGBTQ Community
How to Avoid Fraud When Hiring an Immigration Representative
What if I can’t afford to hire a lawyer? FREE Legal Services Providers in Northern California
Nonprofits may be able to help (for free!) depending on the type of case, and the capacity of the organization. If you are of modest means, please contact these organizations first, rather than a private practitioner.
- Dolores Street Community Services - http://www.dscs.org/
- Community Legal Services of East Palo Alto - http://www.clsepa.org/immigration/
- Centro Legal De Law Raza - http://centrolegal.org/get-help/
- La Raza Centro Legal - http://www.lrcl.org/legal-services/immigration-law-program/
- UC Davis School of Law Immigration Clinic – https://law.ucdavis.edu/clinics/immigration-law-clinic.html
- University of San Francisco Immigration and Deportation Defense Clinic -https://www.usfca.edu/law/professional-skills/law-clinics/immigration-deportation
- East Bay Community Law Center - https://ebclc.org/need-services/immigration-services/
- Bay Area Legal Aid – https://baylegal.org/get-help/find-an-office/
- Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Asylum Pro Bono Program -http://www.lccr.com/get-help/immigrant-justice-asylum-program/
- International Institute of the Bay Area - http://www.iibayarea.org/get-help/